Bridgehampton
Bridgehampton1
Bridgehampton3
Bridgehampton2

BRIDGEHAMPTON:

Centrally located between Water Mill and Sagaponack, Bridgehampton was named for the original bridge over Sagg Pond, which connected the early western settlements of Mecox and the eastern settlements of Sagaponack. Its horse farms, wineries, potato fields, polo fields and golf courses afford open, panoramic vistas and its beaches compare with any in the Hamptons. Bridgehampton offers fine dining and casual restaurants with al fresco dining in summer, along with galleries, clothing boutiques and shops. Popular beaches in Bridgehampton include famous Ocean Road Beach with its broad expanse of white sand, and W. Scott Cameron Beach, where the ocean meets Mecox Bay, a favorite of families with kids.

A world-famous equestrian event, The Hampton Classic, is one of many highlights here. The renowned Bridgehampton Chamber Music Festival brings top classical musicians to perform in summer concerts. The Bridgehampton Museum serves as the headquarters of the Bridgehampton Historical Society, presenting exhibits, cultural programs, special events and an autumn highlight – the annual Vintage Automobile Rally.

There are three private golf clubs in Bridgehampton – The Bridge Golf Club, with a course designed by Rees Jones, was formerly the site of The Bridgehampton Race Circuit, which was renowned for its difficulty and hosted major professional and amateur events from the 1950s to 1990s. The Atlantic Golf Club also has a Rees Jones course, and The Bridgehampton Club, on Ocean Road, includes a nine-hole course.

Nature lovers can visit the South Fork Natural History Museum, access hiking trails through the Long Pond Greenbelt, or visit Bridge Gardens. The Children’s Museum of the East End (CMEE) offers exhibits and programs for kids and families.

Some Bridgehampton History

1640
First English speaking settlements established in Southampton and Southold.
1656
Settlement of Bridgehampton began when Josiah Stanborough built a homestead on land east of the waters of Sagg Pond.
1686
The original bridge that connected Mecox and Sagaponack was built by local wheelwright Ezekiel Sandford, who had been hired by the Town of Southampton.
1776
American Revolution
1840
Nathaniel Rogers redesigned the Abraham Rose federal style house into a Greek Revival style building, and William Corwith build the Corwith House
1865
American Civil War ends
1870
The Long Island Rail Road arrived in 1870, bringing with it visitors and new residents.
1877
The Hampton Library opened
1895
The newspaper, The Bridgehampton News, was established.
1895
The Bridgehampton Fire Department was established
1909
The Bridgehampton National Bank opened on Main Street
1910
The Bridgehampton Monument was unveiled and dedicated on July 4 during the 250th Anniversary Celebration of the settlement of Bridgehampton.
1928
First elected BH Police Commissioner to head up their own police department.
1956
The Bridgehampton Historical Society was chartered by the NYS Board of Regents.
1972
The Plaza East Shopping Plaza was built on land that was once a family farm and Drive-in theater, continuing a century-long transition from an agrarian to more diverse economy.
2003
The Bridgehampton Historical Society helps to preserve the Nathaniel Rogers House